"Healthier Air Starts Here" (407) 383-9459

Sporotrichosis & Sporothrix schenckii

Sporotrichosis is an infection caused by a fungus known as Sporothrix schenckii. Outbreaks of sporotrichosis have been documented in the United States, Western Australia, and Brazil. The exact incidence of sporotrichosis is unknown, but people at increased risk for sporotrichosis usually have occupational or recreational exposures related to agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or gardening.

The fungus lives throughout the world in soil, plants, and decaying vegetation. Cutaneous (skin) infection is the most common form of infection, although pulmonary infection can occur if a person inhales the microscopic, airborne fungal spores. Most cases of sporotrichosis are sporadic and are associated with minor skin trauma like cuts and scrapes; however, outbreaks have been linked to activities that involve handling contaminated vegetation such as moss, hay, or wood.